In 2004 Seawind Catamarans launched the 38ft Seawind 1160 Lite… a ground breaking and innovative design that gained worldwide acclaim for its clever layout and use of space, ergonomic design and efficient short-handed sailing performance. With well over 100 Seawind 1160 Lites launched and sailing the world, the design has been well proven, from crossing the world’s largest oceans to chartering in the beautiful locations such as the Whitsundays, Thailand and Caribbean. Now with the Seawind and Corsair Marine design teams joining forces, a whole new approach is being taken to this classic design.
Philosophy: Simple, Fast & Light!
Though the Seawind 1160 LITE will feature the same resin infused construction and same hull, deck, rig, sails and the famous Trifold door system of the previous 100 or so Seawind 1160s built, the design team have gone back to the drawing board on how to streamline the design to offer a robust cruising cat at a very attractive price.
One of the most noticeable differences on board the Seawind 1160 LITE is the new sleek interior design and fit out. The timber kit will be replaced with lightweight and stylish timber look laminate surfaces, with a new contemporary neutral color palette as specified by Seawind’s interior stylist. The upholstery will be modern, angular, yet practical with a range of hard-wearing Sunbrella fabrics to choose from.
The Seawind 1160 LITE also changes from the traditional diesel sail drives to lighter 20hp Honda (or 25hp Yamaha) outboard engines with electric tilt.
The layout will remain largely unchanged, though the ensuite on the starboard forward cabin will be replaced with a walk in wardrobe and wet locker.
The galley will be simplified with an upright fridge/freezer and 3 burner stove, but still offered the same amount of storage with ring lockers, a handy shelf and plenty of cupboard space – far more in fact than in larger cats with galley up designs.
Benefits of Outboards
- Significant weight reduction
- No drag when sailing
- No growth on legs
- No electrolysis
- Low maintenance & low replacement costs
- Fuel stored external to the cabin
- More storage internally on the boat
- The Seawind 1160 LITE also features:
- Resin infusion construction with hull in Vinylester resin
- Fully moulded carbon forebeam for stiffness
- Dual helm for maximum control
- Self tacking jib
- Extended hardtop area
Seawind 1160 LITE Specs:
- Overall Length 38ft / 11.6m
- Waterline Length 37ft / 11.3m
- Beam 21’4” / 6.5m
- Draft 3’1” / .96m
- Displacement 14,550 lbs / 6.5 tonnes
- Underwing Clearance 2’4” / 0.73m
- Steering Twin Helms Cable Steering
- Power Tilt Outboards 2 x 20hp Honda
- Fuel 71 US gallons / 269 litres
- Fresh Water 185 US gallons / 700 litres
- Holding Tanks 34 US gallons / 130 litres